Bolashak Scholarship for Kazakhstan Citizens
Bolashak scholarship was started by the President of Kazakhstan in 1993. This scholarship is completely funded by the Kazakhstan Government and is managed by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Eligibility: Kazakhstan citizens who want to study overseas are eligible for this scholarship. Students who have excellent academic records receive this scholarship and the recipients are named as the “Bolashak Scholar”. These candidates have to come back to Kazakhstan in order to work here for at least 5 years after graduation.
Fields of study: Science, economics, engineering, public policy, medicine and other major fields.
Levels of study: This scholarship is awarded for following levels of study- bachelor, master and doctorate/PhD studies as well as for research.
Benefits: Covers tuition fee, medical insurance, accommodation costs, entry visa and the other related costs, book allowances, application fees and travel expenses.
Geographical coverage: This scholarship is awarded for studies and internships in overseas universities. Following countries are eligible: Sweden, the USA, Singapore, Canada, the UK, Italy, France, Germany, South Korea, Australia, the Netherlands, Japan, Russia, Austria, China, Switzerland and Malaysia. Students after completion of their course in overseas universities come back to Kazakhstan to work here for 5 years, and 3 years after research internship.
Applying ways and means: Fill in an application form and submit it along with the following documents to the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- A valid copy of passport or any other identity card
- Essay for candidates for the PhD degree and medical sciences
- Educational credentials: Secondary school certificate, bachelor or masters degree/certificates/diplomas (if applicable).
- Medical certificate
- Enrollment proof in a foreign university
- Foreign language certificate
- Recommendation letter
Dates and deadlines: The Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan determines the deadline for the Bolashak scholarship application.
Self-enrolled candidates who have been enrolled in overseas universities must submit the application for this scholarship by mid-July; rest all candidates must submit by mid-August.
Selection ways and means: The government sets the selection criteria. The selection procedure is done in July-December. There are mainly 3 selection levels:
- Level 1: Language test and a psychologist test: Candidates must take Kazakh language test and other test depending on the language of the programme.
- Level 2: Interview: The interviews are conducted by the panel of independent experts. This level is conducted in early September. Interview results are declared in November-December. Candidates who have been enrolled in the universities, their interview for this scholarship takes place in July or early August, so that they can commence their studies in September of current year.
- Level 3: Examining the application
The final decision is made on the basis of the results of all the levels.
To know more about the Bolashak Scholarship, visit the official website of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan.